This “Laksa” soup is a favorite way to eat winter squash — it has a bit of a bite, but is mellowed by the coconut milk.
Winter Squash & Rice "Laksa" Soup
Puree in blender until smooth (add water if necessary):
- 3-4 Anaheim peppers seeded and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of ginger peeled
- bunch of fresh cilantro with stems
Saute in large pot:
- 1 onion finely chopped
- olive oil
Add to pot:
- pepper puree
- 2½ c. chicken broth
- 1 cup basmati rice
- heaping teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Cook, covered until rice is tender. Add extra water while cooking if necessary.
- several cups cooked winter squash
- two 14-ounce cans coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- Heat through and serve.