Sweet Winter Squash Soup
- 1 T. butter
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1/4 c. minced parsley
- 1 lb. winter squash peeled and chunked
- 1 3/4 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 14 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 c. milk
- 1/3 c. half and half
- In large saucepan, melt butter.
- Add onion, carrot, and parsley; cook for five minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring often.
- Add squash, broth, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Cool slightly (do not drain).
- In a blender, process mixture, half at a time, until smooth.
- Return to saucepan.
- Stir in milk and half and half.
- Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve hot or cold.
- (Soup will keep in refrigerator for one week. If serving cold, stir 1/4 c. milk into soup before serving.)