After having pickled rhubarb on a spinach salad at Lovitt Restaurant recently, I decided I had to try pickling some of the abundant rhubarb in our garden. Little did I know it would be so easy! I found a recipe from Mother Earth News, and tried modifying it to be sugar-free. (Their recipe included more ideas for adding some spices like cloves, allspice, ginger, and chili peppers.) In my searching, I discovered that you have to treat pickled rhubarb as “refrigerator pickles” because rhubarb goes to mush when canned. However, I’d like to try freezing it in the pickle “syrup” and see how that works, as well!
- 1 pound rhubarb
- 1 cup honey or raw sugar
- 2 cups apple cider or rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Boil all ingredients except rhubarb for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop rhubarb into bite-size pieces.
- Pack rhubarb into jars.
- Pour hot brine over rhubarb.
- Refrigerate for up to one month.